Thursday 8 January 2015

Christmas Cowls

After a few successful cowls last Christmas,
every time a suitable bargain ball of wool was spotted
 it was purchased with a cowl in mind!
Some have been winter birthday presents, and others given for Christmas!
I was given an amazing detailed and inspirational book for my wedding anniversary earlier in the year:
It has fab photos of all sorts of stitch designs, instructions and charts for each one, and suggestions of suitable yarns. 
 It will be a really useful reference as I continue to explore the art of crochet.
Before embarking on my winter cowl-a-thon I made a list of scarf-y stitches from the book,
swatched a few,
and with the intention of using a different stitch for each project,
promptly fell in love with Rope stitch
so most of my makes wound up with that one!
This acrylic is my favourite colourway!
Its from a huge vibrant squidgy ball of Robin Candyfloss
and has so far made two tall neckwarmers in rope stitch.


 Some zingy My Boshi wool and chunky yarns which were generously donated by Tracey came in handy too!


Unfortunately in the winter gloom the colours do not zing on screen as much,
the one below is a mint green!



This cowl with a twist can be worn in three colour ways



These two chunky cowls from gifted yarn were donated to charity:


HTRs in BLO  above
Rope stitch below!


Another twisted navy cowl (HTRs in BLO) was hooked for my nephew to keep him warm on chilly mornings down by the river.
However, it was presented to its new owner without being photographed!

As Sherlock stitch was well received last year,
 and therapeutic to hook, it was used again:


 for a long skinny infinity!



This was a very relaxing background project, for a friend's birthday, when events were getting hectic!


A twisted combination of Candyfloss and Sherlock evaded detection by the camera....

A friend knitted me this delicious, colourful, soft and warm vintage neckwarmer for Christmas...which is being well used!





I have learned that its never too early to start woollies....and maybe friends with summer birthdays are missing out on winter warmers...so chunky hooking may become an August occupation!

Oh, and I kept one cowl to wear...wonder if you can guess which one it is?!

6 comments:

crazydazy said...

You have been very productive...Ive never heard of rope stitch or sherlock stitch but they both look amazing....I must google them!

linda said...

They all look great Ali, I have made quite a few cowls too they do make lovely gifts, I love the neck warmer lovely colours. :) xx

Unknown said...

So many nice colours, these all look great!
Wish you a very happy 2015! xx

Jacqui Galloway said...

The cowls are fabulous. I especially liked the Sherlock Stitch, which I must admit I've not heard of. Was this possibly the one you kept. I know I would have!
Jacqui xx

Amy at love made my home said...

Such wonderful lovely things! I really like the infinity scarf you made for your friend and the gift from your friend. Sharing is great isn't it!! xx

Angela said...

the twisted navy cowl is my favourite, good job