Monday 23 February 2015

Covering Up!

Several years ago a fabulous and thoughtful friend gave me a Book Journal.
It has been a brilliant resource for recording all those details from most recent reading material that are replaced or confused when new novel excitement kicks in! 
Also it extends the thinking processes whilst recording the raw emotions as the end of a brilliant book is reached.
(This must have started at an early age as I have a childhood copy of Watership Down with an annotated list of rabbit names!)
My mum often makes notes during the books she reads - she had a list of interesting characters from Harry Potter to keep her feet on the ground in the plot! 
For Christmas we gave her a Book Journal in which to keep her notes. Using a hardback spiral bound notebook covered in some handmade felt.

A wet photo! 

Front....


 ...and back


Attached with a loose crochet strap..


 ...and some dodgy stitching...


 the cover is detachable


 ...and intentionally very thin felt to keep the bulkiness to a minimum ..
the silver elastic is an original feature of the book


...its a bit delicate for a cover, but I know it will be well cared for!


Full of memories from crafty projects!




Both Angela and Zed create the most amazing felt book and diary covers, Zed's stitching is beautiful...and there are a wide range of photo tutorials on both blogs....which I am off to check out...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet gift, and such a lovely cover! : )

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

a book journal really is such a good idea, I used to make notes in little bits of paper and tuck them in the book. - not very methodical! I do however enjoy covering notebooks, must try a felted one.

crazydazy said...

A great way to make use of all those end yarn tails ....I have a container full of them. The different colours really zing against the blue/grey background.

Jacqui Galloway said...

Reminds me of the little book, you sent to me. It makes a very special gift. Love the colours and delicate bits of thread.
Jacqui xx

linda said...

Your work always fascinates me Ali, what a lovely cover. :) xx

Amy at love made my home said...

A great idea to keep such a book, and a lovely cover for it too! xx