Monday 9 February 2015

Flower Power

Prudence Mapstone, a truly colourful inspiration to all freeformers, is generously giving an exciting opportunity for creative crocheters and knitters  to be part of a huge piece of unique wall art.
Its all explained in this post on her 50 years of Flower Power blog.
Flowers and freeform - I couldn't wait to get started!
In true stashbusting style I gathered some bright and textured yarns and raided one of the boxes I have stuffed full of oddments.
Oddments is my positive term for all those bits of  crochet that didn't quite make the grade, they may have been prototypes, experiments or the motifs that didn't look just right (in the days 'before freeform'  when this mattered!)....stitch count awry, uneven petals, lumpy bits...we all have them - don't we?!....and I keep them!!
Several were chosen, at random, and the freeforming flower began to blossom!








 A back view....


....secret pocket....intentional of course!!


 ...a  familiar needlefelted middle..


fluffy bits...


 multi-coloured cotton threads....


 shiny threads....


 knobbly spirally bits....


Before photographing, it was perched on Mr RWs reading matter...so I hunted around for a more colourful background...and uncovered a favourite childhood book:


'A Child's Garden of Verses' by Robert Louis Stevenson


with the most vibrant illustrations by the very talented Brian Wildsmith


...first published in 1966....
a welcome chance to reconnect with the wonderful words and incredible illustrations..


...having been surrounded by Brian Wildsmith's  beautiful, colourful, zingy books as a child
 no wonder I love colour and texture...and freeform!


I loved this project - it has fertilised my passion for freeform, colour and illustration.
Thank you to Prudence...
I'm so looking forward to be part of an international piece of art,
and to viewing all the other colourful, creative contributions as they arrive in Australia!
There's still time if you'd like to join me!
Off to pop the petals in the post!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your items are so inspiring, they make me want to learn how to create in freeform! : ) I really really like this flower you made, so colourful and bright!

crazydazy said...

The different colours and textures are amazing!

linda said...

It's lovely Ali and i'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations there are some amazing pieces of work on her blog. :) xx

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

this is really tactile isn't it? It has a real 3d element about it. Love it.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

1966. The year I was born. Lovely illustrations. And your free form flower is beautiful! Best wishes, Tammy