Tuesday 4 October 2011

Being Creative - Autumn

It seems so strange writing about autumn sitting in shorts and t-shirt with the windows wide open!
There are a few rusty coloured crispy leaves being swept around the garden and on a recent park stroll I loudly crunched beech nut husks under foot. The sun, although beautifully hot, disappers quickly in the evening...so autumnal signs are all around...
 
For Being Creative this month (well September...like autumn I am a bit sluggish)..I have made two iconic forms using wet and needle felting..
I have made wet and needlefelted balls before and will be doing so again soon.


Its difficult to make a conker from fuzzy wooly felt as it loses its silky sheen somewhat, this one is made from shetland wool which makes it extra hairy!




The shape of the pumpkin was achieved using elastic bands whilst the soggy ball was drying.

The hot weather has been great but not condusive to drying constricted felty balls, which I usually do on the radiator...this pumkin has been basking in the sun, hanging in  a bag on the line, lounging in the airing cupboard and today I resorted to roasting it in the oven!
It is also made with shetland tops and merino with some silk sari fibres thrown in, which can be seen close up!

RW Junior enjoyed unclamping the elastic bands and seeing its finished shape.
I'm looking forward to more signs of autumn, warming soup and stews, vibrant tones and colours, the smell of bonfires and scrunching rustling leaves underfoot. 
What do you like best about autumn I wonder?!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your pumpkin. I had originally intended making a group of crocheted items, including a pumpkin, but had a change of mind. Yours is just so tactile looking.

Melody said...

I'm torn between liking the sights (such good colors) or smells of Autumn best???
I love the pumpkin; and what a great way to make the "sections"!!! At leasty your wooly conker won't hurt if it conks you on the head! :)))))

Julia said...

I have totally fallen in love with your pumpkin!! I like the conker too, very much, but there is something about pumpkins and Autumn that make me go all warm inside, so the pumpkin wins! This is a really innovative idea, and thank you very much for adding it to the group!

Much love
Julia x x x

Biba said...

Oh my goodness, these are so pretty!

Katie said...

Love them both but the pumpkin is my favourite! An awesome take on the theme. I didn't get anything made in September :-( Fingers crossed for something this month...

Creative Chaos Art said...

I really love both of these, but especially how you've captured the shape of the pumpkin :)
Helen x

Tracey Todhunter said...

The pumpkin is fab, I think I'm going to have to book myself in for lessons!
Txxx

Dania said...

Such a lovely pumpkin! I love autumn! The coulors, the light, all the fruits, vegetables and seeds all around. And everything in nature invites you to play and being creative with it.

Donna said...

I love these. Especially the pumpkin. Very autumnal.

helly5 said...

What a gorgeous fuzzy pumpkin and hairy conker, I think they are great1 :)

nataliapatalia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nataliapatalia said...

I love your pumpkin best about autumn! :-)

Linnhe Mara said...

Oh Ali they are absolutely delicious. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.
What do I like best about Autumn? We light the stove! Warmth and flickering firelight as the nights draw in.